Healthwatch will give people a powerful voice locally and nationally. At a local level, Healthwatch Birmingham will work to help local people get the best out of their local health and social care services. Whether it's improving them today or helping to shape them for tomorrow. Healthwatch Birmingham is all about local voices being able to influence the delivery and design of local services. Not just people who use them, but anyone who might need to in future.
Healthwatch Birmingham is the independent consumer champion created to gather and represent the public and patient’s experiences of using local health and social care services. This includes services like GPs, pharmacists, hospitals, dentists, care homes and community based care. Every voice counts - Healthwatch Birmingham ensures the public voice is heard by those who commission, design and deliver health and social care services to make them better, now and in the future.
What Healthwatch Birmingham do
- Enable people to share their views (good or not so good) and concerns about the health and social care services they are using in Birmingham. Patients and the public can share their experiences via their online Feedback Centre.
- Work to ensure that people’s experiences using local services is fed into analysis, helping to build a picture of where services are doing well and where they can be improved. Healthwatch can take action, working in conjunction with relevant regulatory organisations, to investigate or review services.
- Work with clinical commissioning groups and social care providers to ensure services are designed and improved based on patients and the public’s needs.
- Communicate with sector regulators and Healthwatch England and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to highlight concerns about specific care providers and identify patterns.
- Are a presence in communities and to listen to patient’s and the public’s experiences. With a team of volunteers Healthwatch Birmingham aim to be visible and accessible so people can share their story.
- Provide details for people to find information about local health and social care services, including how to make a formal complaint, access advocacy support and other health and social care links.
- Work with health and social care providers to design and improve better services by putting them in touch with their patients’ and service users’ views directly.