Transforming care for people with learning disabilities is a national programme to improve services for people with learning disabilities and/or autism, who display behaviour that challenges, including those with a mental health condition. This will drive system-wide change and enable more people to live in the community, with the right support, and close to home.
Led jointly by NHS England, the Association of Adult Social Services (ADASS), the Care Quality Commission (CQC), Local Government Association (LGA), Health Education England (HEE) and the Department of Health (DH), the Transforming Care programme focuses on the five key areas of:
- Empowering individuals
- Right care, right place
The national plan, Building the Right Support, that has been developed jointly by NHS England, the LGA and ADASS, is the next key milestone in the cross-system Transforming Care programme, and includes 48 Transforming Care Partnerships across England to re-shape local services, to meet individual’s needs. This is supported by a new Service Model for commissioners across health and care that defines what good services should look like.
The plan builds on other transforming care work to strengthen individuals’ rights; roll out care and treatment reviews across England, to reduce unnecessary hospital admissions and lengthy hospital stays; and test a new competency framework for staff, to ensure we have the right skills in the right place.
The Transforming Care programme is focusing on addressing long-standing issues to ensure sustainable change that will see:
- More choice for people and their families, and more say in their care
- Providing more care in the community, with personalised support provided by multi-disciplinary health and care teams
- More innovative services to give people a range of care options, with personal budgets, so that care meets individuals’ needs
- Providing early more intensive support for those who need it, so that people can stay in the community, close to home
- But for those that do need in-patient care, ensuring it is only for as long as they need it.
For more information please see the following links:
- Building the right support leaflet
- Building the right support plan
- Transforming Care Plan - easy read
- Transforming Care Board terms of reference - easy read
- View the presentation to Birmingham Overview and Scrutiny Committee about the plans for Transforming Care
- The full public version of the Birmingham Transforming Care plan will be made available here soon. Please continue to check back for updates.